Skip to main content
Communication and interconnection technology are moving forward in leaps and bounds, and this even extends to garage door openers. Did you know that you can open and close your garage door from your iPhone or Apple Watch? Here’s how.
To get started, here’s what you need to check
If you have a LiftMaster or Chamberlain brand door opener, made AFTER 1993, you can install accessories so that will allow you to have a voice connection with your iPhone or Apple Watch.
The following years, the date of manufacture of your door opener, are the ones to remember so that it all works:
Then your LiftMaster or Chamberlain door opener is equipped with the Security+ technology. It has a square ORANGE “learn” button that allows you to program your remotes.
This means your door opener has Security+ technology and you can program your remotes. For these, the “learn” button is PURPLE and square.
In this case, in addition to being equipped with Security+ 2.0, it also has MyQ™ technology. Its “learn” button for programming your remotes is YELLOW and round.
After August 2017:
Some LiftMaster and Chamberlain door openers also come equipped with Wi-Fi technology.
Maybe you’re not sure about the date of manufacture. Then take a look on the metal housing of your door opener and you will find the names and logos of Security+, Security+ 2.0, MyQ and/or Wi-Fi.
Here’s how you go about connecting your door opener to Siri
Once again, depending on the date of manufacture of your LiftMaster or Chamberlain door opener, here are the accessories you’ll need to have to connect with Apple’s HomeKit:
From 1996 to 2013:
You’ll need two accessories to do it: the 888LM MyQ Control Panel and the 828LM Internet Gateway
From 2014 to August 2017:
You only need to have the 819LMB MyQ Home Bridge
Since August 2017:
- LiftMaster door openers with a model number followed by the letter W (8550W, 8500W, 8587W, 8360W, 8355W, and 8365-267W) come already equipped with Wi-Fi technology. Some models in LiftMaster’s Contractor Series also provide this capability. For Chamberlain, some models in their offering also come with Wi-Fi technology.
- If you want to check if your door opener or one that you are planning on buying provides for Wi-Fi technology, visit this website.
- Once you have the correct equipment and it’s all hooked up, to start it working with the MyQ system, see these instructions.
Here are the types of commands you can give to Siri
Now that everything is properly connected and operational, here is an overview of the voice commands you can give to Siri:
- Open and close the garage door in Wi-Fi mode only, if you are in or near your home. However, if you have an Apple TV (version 4.0) or an iPad using IOS-8 (or a more recent model), you can operate your garage door from anywhere in the world, in Wi-Fi mode, and of course, with a 3G or LTE connection. That means you can say “Hey Siri, open the garage door” and “Hey Siri, close the garage door”.
- Check the status of your garage door, in Wi-Fi mode, to be sure it is closed before going to bed or when you are away from home. You must be in or near the house to do this. But if you have an Apple TV (version 4.0) or an iPad using IOS-8 (or a more recent model), you can verify the status of your garage door from anywhere in the world, in Wi-Fi mode, and of course, with a 3G or LTE connection. Then you can say “Hey Siri, is the garage door closed?”
- Control multiple HomeKit-enabled devices with just one command.
- Use the “Home” app to control all your HomeKit-enabled accessories.
And there’s more…
Using My technology allows you to connect to other applications, such as:
- Google Assistant: using Google Assistant on devices like Google Home allows you to check the status of your garage door and, if needed, close it.
- With NEST: the MyQ app lets you quickly program control of home heating from Nest (in Home and Absent modes), or see what is happening in your house or garage with a Nest camera…
- With IFTTT: connect your garage door opener to your favorite apps and devices with the assistance of IFTTT. For enhanced and customized control of your garage, link to IFTTT in the MyQ app.
- XFINITY Home: feel safe by knowing that you are connected and protected with XFINITY Home, a platform of automated home security equipment. Set up rules to receive notifications of what’s going on at home in real time, like when the garage door is open.
- Alarm.com: allows seamless monitoring of your MyQ-controlled door opener and its accessories to your security system giving you the ultimate in peace of mind.