Your garage door works well in all seasons without much repair. The door opens in a perfect balance from both sides. However, with continuous use, the garage door can become uneven and would not close until the end of one side. In such a case, you would need to check its balance. You call a local garage repair service who would level a garage door professionally.
If you think you can work it out yourself, you can follow the following steps to level a garage door:
- The first step is to disconnect the door from the opener to check from where is the door out of balance. You can move the door up and down several times. This will help you identify until where the door closes and to check that it runs smoothly on the track. If the door falls quickly, it means they’ve lost tension on the springs.
- Place c-clamps on the tracks so that the door does not lift up while you are working on it
- Using a ladder, a wrench, and a winding bar start adjusting the tension of spring.
- Climb the ladder and loosen the setscrew with a wrench while holding the winding bar. You will feel tension adjusting as you loosen the screws.
- Place the first winding bar up- only a quarter turn and place the second winding bar in the hole and tighten the setscrew
- Remove the winding bar and repeat the same process on the other side. It might take several attempts before both sides align and close together at the bottom.
- Finally, check the level of the garage door.